8/1/11

The Fear of the Lord




II Corinthians 5:11



11
Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord.....,

Meditations:

Knowing the fear of the Lord....Do I know and experience the fear of the Lord? And what does that look like? I often fear man-"what do they think about me?" But do I really fear God? I don't fear condemnation, and that's what I am hard-wired to do. When we fear people, when we get concerned about what they think about us, whether they accept me or not, whether they "like" me, I then fear rejection. I don't have to fear God that way. Do I want to please Him so very much that I fear that I am not? Do I have a healthy "knowing" that He is the God and maker of the universe and that knowledge then changes my thoughts and actions? Do I place Him in a different category enough that I show awe, reverence and devotion for Him? Or do I just act like God is my "cosmic" buddy ready to help me out in times of need?
God is God! He is someone that I can't see yet evidence for Him is all around me and inside of me too. I can't hear Him but His Word speaks to me everyday.

Things I really fear; my children's opinion (wanting to see them happy not necessarily holy), my husband's opinion of me, being the kind of friend that leads to acceptance and not rejection. When all I think of is making people happy (so they will like me, give me attention, think good of me), then I'm only thinking of myself. I should be thinking about what is best for them not only for me. I am to do all for God's glory.

Help me this day to see and hear You for who You are, to truly bow my heart to You-because You alone are God.

"Not just once, but everyday we must renounce our trust in other would be lords, saviors, providers, and promise makers. We must let go of our anxious grip on or own lives, our sense of being in control, our own integrity and confidence in our religious experience. We must renounce the contracts we have entered that promised to make our life meaningful and say 'Amen!' to the will as it is read to us." p. 109
Michael Horton in The Gospel Driven Life

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Praise God!